icon
Kendall
Ok, that's pretty good. Jon pointed out a few re-order of parts, no big deal, a couple of maybe screw changes, no big deal...

I am assuming a couple more steps in our near future:
Step 15; would be installation of the slic3r (which is straight forward), adjustments needed to slic3r printer configuration & adding the .ini pre-set files (unless he is offering a pre-configured version of Slic3r install), installation of the controller software (assuming 5D), configuring our network to talk to it, and connecting to the printer for the first time?
Step 16; would be a dry run through the functions to make sure everything is moving as it should without binding, with the motors not overheating or skipping steps (b/c of trim pot adjustments), and checking that the extruder and bed heaters are functioning as expected?
Step 17; would be leveling the bed and setting the Z stop (this is logical, so that should be a piece of cake; he all ready has done this with the Lab Makibox in an older video)?
Step 18; would be loading a test g-code file, loading and feeding in the filament, purging the nozzle, and seeing the first print start to happen?

Everything else will be up to us...
2013-08-22 05:55
NarimaanV
iconKendall:
Step 16; would be a dry run through the functions to make sure everything is moving as it should without binding, with the motors not overheating or skipping steps (b/c of trim pot adjustments), and checking that the extruder and bed heaters are functioning as expected?

So how exactly would we know when we have to adjust the trim pots on the Printrboard? Obviously overheating would be easily apparent, but what exactly are the signs that it's "skipping steps" and we have to increase the power to that motor?
Patiently (Mostly) Awaiting My Makibox.................So I can Mod the Heck Out of It! :rolleyes:
2013-08-22 06:03
Kendall
iconNarimaanV:
iconKendall:

So how exactly would we know when we have to adjust the trim pots on the Printrboard? Obviously overheating would be easily apparent, but what exactly are the signs that it's "skipping steps" and we have to increase the power to that motor?

RE: Skipping steps, in the extreme; you will hear noise but the carriage didn't move. In a lesser drastic situation, you will just see your model just start printing offset printing on the layer before for no apparent reason. The real concern is "to hot", don't know how to tell if they are running to hot. With pot adjustments 1/16 of a turn either way is a lot of adjustment...

I was getting some stalls after a couple of months with my existing printer and the manufacture told me to just adjust it up 1/16 of a turn, the motor did seem to run hotter but still was getting some skipping, I did further investigation and found a pulley on the belt drive starting to gall, repaired that and turned the pot back down until I got some skipping, then up 1/16 of a turn and it seemed to work fine from that point forward. This is a by guess, by golly method, seems like there should be a better way...
2013-08-22 06:20
Kendall
I like that Jon runs new machines dry, then lubes them, if they run dry, then they should run better with lube. But remember, I plan on being a test module for FrogLube (gush I love this stuff, going to try it in a couple of fishing reels next while waiting for my Makibox), so my results will not be comparable to those who lube with Jon's recommendation of White Lithium grease...
2013-08-22 06:30
Jon Buford (jonbuford)
Lead Developer
The steps we recorded were to go with the manual.
We will do others for bed leveling, mechanism tuning, feeding and starting the material, and tuning the pots. The software installs are generally better for a written format, since they tend to be a bit more clear with just screenshots. You don't need to see someone tapping on a touch pad in that case.
Others we either will do as they come up, or will look for community submitted content.
For tuning the pots, technically there is one optimum location for our current motors. We are leaving them adjustable in case it is needed, but they will come pre-adjusted to the correct position.
2013-08-22 08:03
bradley
The board that came with my Printrbot Simple sets the default pot at 3 o'clock with the fan port on top for frame of reference. The motors are Kysan 1124101 and at that current, it gets over the top hot. So hot that I can't even touch it for a second. I turned the pot down to 1 o'clock (counter-clockwise) and can now touch it for about 3 seconds during a long printing run. However, when doing small calibration, it makes a tiny squeling sound like it needs more juice. Cranking it up to 2 o'clock doesn't help either. Since then, the company has replaced the motors with Kysan 1124090.

What I noticed is that if I was calibrating the Z axis and there is a squeling sound, changing the pot on other axis (XY or E) will stop the squeling. This makes me think that all the pots' current are connected.
2013-08-22 08:51
JakeF
Maybe you can include a photograph in the manual that shows the pots ideal position (or reference position).
Or just upload it in the support section.
2013-08-22 19:59
Kendall
iconJakeF:
Maybe you can include a photograph in the manual that shows the pots ideal position (or reference position).
Or just upload it in the support section.

Jon said that there was a sweet spot, and it would come pre-set with that sweet spot; no worries unless your having problems, then either Makibox Support or one of us can help; after determining if it is a pot issue, or a build binding issue. All parts have tolerances, and every build will not be exactly identical...
2013-08-22 20:18
Jon Buford (jonbuford)
Lead Developer
We will document it in the online manual area. It is something that will get set prior to shipment and doesn't get set during the construction.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM, MakiBox Forum <forum@makible.com> wrote:

JakeF has replied to:

14 Steps to a Makibox
The message is located at:
http://1pm.r.mailjet.com/redirect/3876t16nmnc65d17h9zgmd/makibox.com/forum/message/7192

---
MakiBox Forum Mailer
(Please retain the reply tag in the subject when replying by email)

2013-08-22 21:03
ptipierre
hi !

That's sounds good, but don't forget the very first step

Have a Makibox delivered to your house :w00t: !!!!
2013-08-23 02:59
icon